Friday, August 20, 2010

New Obstacles

My daughter Hope is 6 months old now. I'm so thankful for her, I can't believe a half a year has gone by. Has it really been that long since I first saw her sweet face? I waited what felt like forever to meet her. I honestly had so many ideas of what my life would be like now. I really thought as I neared the end of my pregnancy that I would feel better because it meant we were closer to the finish line. But, it was more than difficult. The closer I got to actually meeting her the more fear I felt that the rug would get yanked out from under me.
But Praise God, that didn't happen. He blessed me with my sweet princess & I have the joy of getting to know this precious person.
There are new obstacles though. Things that take you by surprise. Like the first time I put her in the nursery at church I was truly stressed. I knew she was in good safe hands but the whole service I was counting the minutes til I could hold her again. Or how I check, recheck, & then check again to make sure she is secure in her car seat.
And then we have tonight.
Hope's first night sleeping in the nursery...away from me.

I would be lying to say that this isn't more than difficult. This is terrible for me. Honestly, I'm typing so I don't go in there & pick her up!!
The truth is my normal logical brain KNOWS she is more than safe. But my heart is screaming "go pick up your baby"
Now, I'm not a mom who normally runs in the room at the slightest peep. Actually, I've been known to be the opposite. I've been the friend on the other end of the line supporting a mama who has resolved to train her baby to sleep through the night. Because of that I knew Hopes still being in the room with me was dysfunctional. For me. Personally.
And please to set the record straight, I have nothing against Mama's who sleep with their babies for a loooonnng time. Whatever, works for your family works, it's just that I act like a lunatic without good sleep. So to have Hopie with me for this length of time clued me in that something was wrong in my heart.
I talked to a good friend who has walked this road & she spoke some good sense to me. Let me put it to you in a nutshell. Basically she said I had to learn to let go, I NEEDED to overcome this obstacle because there will be many more in the future. There are going to be so many "firsts" to be afraid of.

First time sleepovers.
First time swimming.
First time driving...

Do you know I've already started to dread the first time I give Hope peanut butter out of fear she could have a severe allergic reaction?? Wow, that's not good ya know.

I have to accept the truth, God took my Isaac & Hannah & unfortunately I will NEVER know this side of Heaven why they died. I had no control over the outcome of their lives. There days were numbered & although they were few, they did live.
And I loved them every moment.
Now my Hope is here, & she is very much alive, I'm smiling a big happy grin right now.
So I resolve not to live in perpetual fear of death. Instead I will choose to trust that God has blessed me with this sweet girl to teach me how to trust Him more everyday.

3 comments:

  1. "I resolve not to live in perpetual fear of death. Instead I will choose to trust that God has blessed me with this sweet girl to teach me how to trust Him more everyday." Amen and ditto. Thank you for sharing your heart sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Tina, I wasn't sure how to reach you, but I saw your comment on Butterfly Mommies, if you want each of the kids to have a page you can, otherwise, we can combine them. Either way we need two different forms for each child. If you want them to be put on one page just make a note in the message part.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone told me once that if something is meant to happen it will whether we freak out and worry or stress. While I believe that it's hard to remember in the moment. Your daughter is one beautiful girl! And your angels are lucky to have such a loving momma! <3

    ReplyDelete